TLC Pet Services of Fort Mill receives daily posts in regards to lost and found pets by being added to local Facebook groups. It is unfortunate that some of our fur babies find their way out of our fences, bolt for the door, or break away from their pet parents while out on a walk.
We thought this would be a good time to provide some basic tips on what you can do to help your fur baby and other lost fur babies find their way home.
What do you do when you see a dog or cat that is wondering around aimlessly, looks to be uncared for and scared or possibly keeps showing up in your neighborhood? Chances are someone is looking for them. If you are a good Samaritan and want to help this sweet baby find its way home, there are a couple easy steps you can take.
- Never chase the dog or cat and ALWAYS remain calm. Squat down or lay down making yourself submissive. Put your hand out and talk softly. If you have a treat that may help bring him in closer. Once you have gotten the fur baby to come to you, bring him to a secure location.
- Check for identification. Is he wearing a tag? Take him to the closest vet and have him scanned for a microchip. AC (Animal Control) will also scan for a microchip.
- Report to your local AC that you have found what you believe to be a lost pet. It is REQUIRED by law to contact AC within 24 hours or less.
- They will post a picture and location information if you choose to keep watch until the pet parent is found.
If you are unable to keep the fur child you have found, you can turn him over to AC to be cared for until the pet parent is found. AC will also provide veterinarian care if the fur child is injured. Check with your local AC on their policy for found pets.
- Post to your local Lost and Found Pet sites or Nextdoor.com for your local area. This is an easy way to get the word out whether it is because you found a missing fur child or are missing one of your own.
- Make a poster for your neighborhood letting others know that a fur baby has been lost or found.
- Most importantly, do what you would want someone else to do if they were to find YOUR PET. One day you may need a kind person to do the same for you.
Several of the above steps also apply if your fur baby is lost and you are searching for him.
- Go to AC to look for your missing fur baby. File a report with AC letting them know your fur baby is missing. Leave your information and a picture of your fur baby. This is the number one-way fur babies and pet parents are reunited.
- If your fur child is micro-chipped notify the company, he is registered with.
- Again, post to your local Lost and Found Pet sites or Nextdoor.com for your local area. This is an easy way to get the word that you are missing your fur child.
- Make a poster for your neighborhood letting others know that a fur baby has been lost.
If your cat is missing, place used litter outside along with a piece of your worn clothing. The scent will often bring them home.
- There is additional information on the internet that can also assist in these types of situations. Sharing information throughout your community is an important step to reuniting our fur babies with their owners.
Lost and Found Pets-Charlotte (Facebook Page)